Jaeger-LeCoultre Duomètre Sphérotourbillon Moon (SIHH 2015)
by Guillaume V - 24/12/2014
A few weeks after revealing the sublime Jaeger-LeCoultre Master Calendar Meteorite Dial and a few days before the SIHH 2015, the Jaeger-LeCoultre Manufacture is now presenting its Duomètre Sphérotourbillon Moon.
Of course, the said Sphérotourbillon refers to the mechanism located within the 9 o’clock opening. Immediately catching the eye, its movement is nothing short of hypnotic - so much, in fact, that it gets difficult to take your eyes away from it! Apart from the dramatic effect, the Sphérotourbillon mechanism - only weighing 0.518 g for 105 components - has a true influence on the watch accuracy. Indeed, by rotating on itself and around an axis at 20° angle at the same time, it counteracts the effects of gravity on the regulating organ it contains.
For even greater accuracy, the push button located at 2 o’clock enables - when setting the watch, for instance- to bring back the small second to zero without stopping the movement. Then, the hand goes back to zero by itself and immediately starts rotating again: a feature similar to that of a flyback chronograph.
The precision is such that Jaeger-LeCoultre guarantees that, correctly set, the moon phase only need a correction of one day every.... 3,887 years.
Aesthetically, the Sphérotourbillon Moon is perfectly aligned with the codes of the Duomètre collection. The silvered, fine grained dial is easy to read and the moon phase location at 3 o’clock instead of 6 - as is the norm with Jaeger-LeCoultre - does not hinder the overall balance. Rather the opposite! The lapis lazuli moon phase disk is adorned with moon and “golden” powdered stars that reminds of the color of the hands and the indexes.
The case size in polished/satin-brushed platinum is remarkably reasonable given the watch complications: 42 mm of diameter for less than 14 mm of thickness. Another very interesting point: an opening on the side of the case - at 9 o’clock - enables the lucky owner of this exceptional timepiece to contemplate the Sphérotourbillon from another angle... for an even more mesmerizing experience !
Jaeger-LeCoultre Sphérotourbillon Moon
- Ref. Q608 65 20 - Limited edition of 75 copies
- 42 mm diameter, 14.3 mm thick platinum round case
- Sapphire glass, grain silver-toned dial Clear sapphire case back
- Water resistance 3 bar (30 meters)
- Hours, minutes, small second with flyback function, 2 power reserves, moon phases, 24 hours indication, Sphérotourbillon
- Caliber 389 (manual winding, 476 pieces, handmade and hand-assembled, 2 barrels, 56 jewels, 45 hours of power reserve)
- Hand-sewn black alligator leather strap, platinum pin buckle
- Recommended Retail Price in France = non disclosed