From the earth to the moon
The history of Omega started in 1848 when Louis Brandt created a watchmaking comptoir in La Chaux-de-Fonds in the Neuchâtel district.
In 1879, his two sons - Louis-Paul and César - started manufacturing watches with modern processes in Bienne. Their endeavour was quite successful: Louis Brandt et Fils became the leading Swiss manufacture and produced more than 100,000 watches a year.
In 1894, the brand launched the Omega caliber which simplicity and parts interchangeability made it a success. So much so that Omega became the name of the firm in 1903!
As early as 1909, Omega started out in sports timekeeping for international airship races and especially the Gordon Benett race.
During First World War, the Royal Air Force then the American army adopted Omega watches.
Known for the durability and precision of its timepieces - demonstrated by its victory in the 1919 Neuchâtel precision contest - Omega becomes in 1932, for the first time, the official timekeeper of the Olympic Games: the start of a partnership still lasting to this day.
In 1933, Omega got their first world precision record before those of 1936 and 1946.
In 1957, Omega created the Speedmaster wrist-chronograph.