American avant-Garde and Swiss tradition
International Watch Co. was founded in 1868 in Schaffhausen by Florentine Ariosto Jones - a watchmaker arriving from Boston. The project of this man was to associate the latest manufacturing techniques mastered in the United States to the quality of the craftsmanship of Swiss watchmakers. To deliver on this project, he found ideal conditions in Schaffhausen - far from other watchmaking manufactures located in French-speaking Switzerland. There, he found modern premises, the required energy to make his machines work thanks to the hydroelectric plant located on the Rhine along with an ancestral clockmaking tradition.
After renting the premises of the Moser industrial estate and some others at the Oberhaus - one of the oldest buildings in Schaffhausen - Jones ordered the building of a new manufacture - as early as 1874 - right on the shores of the Rhine. And the head office of IWC is still there today !